It appears that I'm a week or two behind on this weekly post I had been attempting to keep, so hopefully this makes up for it....
We got back our second term tests and I was happy to see that I got perfect on it! I was a bit nervous due to the fact that I hadn't studied pre and post conditions and correctness of a program but I managed to pull through. The second question I was more confident about, since it was just using the Master Theorem to find the time complexity of the given program, and rewriting the code so that the time complexity changed.
Unfortunately my second assignment mark wasn't nearly as great as my term test. I had gotten the first question mostly wrong and since the assignment was only two questions... well you can see where this is going. I found the first question quite difficult but I had felt I made some progress on it. Looking at the marking it seems that my unwinding led me to the wrong closed form; I had written down that H(n) was just the closed form of the Fibonacci sequence, but it was actually that + 1. I probably should have double checked my work but I left it to the last minute to do so I had no time. The second question was about proving the time complexity of some recursive function, which wasn't too hard since for one part of the question we were just told to emulate the course notes proof with some minor changes to fit the question. To prove that the function was in the big Theta, I just showed that the function was in Big-O and Big-Omega. In the end I had chosen the wrong constant (it was also off by + 1) but the proof was fine.
In lectures we learned about languages and alphabets and how different languages are combined with others to form a whole bunch of strings. At first I didn't know what was going on but after the tutorial it seemed pretty easy, it just gets a bit confusing with being bombarded with new terms and notations on how to define a language and such. In the other lecture we learned about regular expressions and how languages were defined with those. The professor then proceeded to showing us finite-state automata which basically shows us whether or not a string is inside a specific language. These automata seemed fairly simple until he showed us the non-deterministic one, where the same character can lead to different states, which I found pretty weird.
Our third assignment has been posted but unfortunately I've been caught up in a presentation I'm supposed to be doing tomorrow, hopefully after I'll be able to work on that, my AST221 problem set and also my CSC207 assignment which I haven't started either... once again it's going to be another hectic few days for me as I try to blast through all of my homework... I also have to finish the mathematical proof post for this blog also, which is due next week. Hopefully I'll be able to make it through these last two weeks of classes before exams, wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment